A couple of months ago I began experimenting with combining different acrylic gel mediums and paint to achieve a particular drippy consistency. I came up with a mix I liked and made a few paintings with laser cut type on stretched canvas: "Dripping Smile," "Dripping Damn," and "Dripping $."
I preserved some of the mixture in an airtight jar and over the weekend I started to play with it again. This time I added India ink and dripped the now deep gray colored acrylic over a Chloé ad I had "defaced" (another art-making obsession). I replaced the model's face was with watercolor paper and pasted the entire piece to a 11x14" mat. The dripping process is very slow and takes patience--and also guidance. As the acrylic mix started to do its thing I encouraged it with my brush and gravity. I let the drips collect where the picture met the mat and then continue dripping.
I really love the way the piece came out. I sandwiched "Dripping Defaced" between the two remaining text paintings and made a sentence: "damn girl: smile."
I've continued to experiment with the mixture and process over the last few days. Here are some of the results:
Once I started it was really hard to stop. No magazines are safe from my drips in this house.