Progress for Day 11 #100DaysStudioObj
The object in the studio that has been getting most of my attention the last few days is this work in progress. I'm not sure how successful it is going to be, but I am enjoying the process immensely.
As usual, I've given myself some restrictions for the project. I knew I wanted to go big (in relation to my usual work) but I didn't want to bring any new material into the studio. To begin, I glued a large format black and white photocopy of an original collage to a 4'x2' panel that I had hanging up in the studio. I then decided that the "coverage" would be from one issue of ARTFORUM and be primarily black and white, with a touch of red. Over the last few days I've been slowly covering the photocopy with small strips hand cut from the May 2014 issue of ARTFORUM. Finding the pages to cut from the issue is not as easy as it sounds. May 2014 was all about color. The strips are about 1/8" thick and overlap—it's highly textured.
When all the strips are finally adhered I'll seal it with several layers of gel medium which I'm hoping will also help blend and soften some of the edges and bumps.
I've made three small works in preparation of this larger one that I really like. I've been calling them "peek-a-boo pieces." It's been good to work outside of my small format comfort zone.